Tuesday, January 8, 2008

More money for gasoline=less for fashion?

So I just found out something amazing, and it has nothing to do with fashion, but we're going to try to make it relate. Send this to your friends, link them here, whatever. But everyone should know this!

Many discount retailers such as Costco, Sam's Club, Wal-Mart and even grocery stores, offer discounted gasoline. You think you're getting this great deal, saving 10 cents (5p) a gallon, filling up at Sam's.

My boss let me in on a little secret, and I did a test to see if he was full of it or not. Apparently, there are so many additives in discount gasoline that it ruins your gas mileage. I thought he was nuts, but I did a test-- filling up at Shell (paying 8 cents more a gallon than Sam's) and compared the gas mileage.

I got 40-50 miles more out of a tank of gas, fueling up at Shell. So the $1 I save by fueling up at Sam's Club is completely negated-- I'm saving $8 or more by getting my fuel at Shell, BP or Phillips' 66. The refineries that output gasoline for these fuel stops don't put nearly as many additives in their fuel-- according to the guy at Shell, "Murphy Oil fuel is garbage." (Murphy supplies Sam's, Wal-Mart, etc etc with their fuel).

So $8 a week (I use a tank a week in my TrailBlazer) times 4 is $32 a month. Multiply that by 12 months and you're looking at SERIOUS savings, in the neighborhood of $384 a year.

$384 is a GREAT accessory from Louis Vuitton or a cute bag from Coach. Think about it! Don't we give those discount retailers enough of our money anyway?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

give a try to chevron. They give the best mileage.