Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Patchwork: Fab or Fug?

The big craze in the past couple of years in accessories has been patchwork. You see patchwork bags, shoes, hats-- even patchwork clothing! While small leather patch pieces-- for example, boots-- are fine in my opinion, as long as the fabric type is consistent (for example, suede) and the colors complement each other. But some designers are really taking it too far! I know patch was huge in the 70's and I know fashion this season and last has all been about 70's throwbacks. But enough is enough, people!

See two fug examples below: Coach's Summer '06 Patchwork Hamptons Tote, and Louis Vuitton's LE Patchwork Tribute Bag from last year.

Photobucket

Give me your thoughts here. Patchwork-- fugly or fabulous?

This has been the Redneck Fashionista. Where I'm from, potato sacks and old quilts could be the next hot patchwork skirt!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the patchwork is hideous. Especially the two examples. I think patchwork just takes away from the beauty of the Coach tote. They even make a patchwork Carly! The silohette of the Carly is so beautiful and the patchwork makes it... Ew!

I think patchwork is terribly tacky and a waste of money.

The Wandering Graduate said...

You're completely right. I couldn't even bring myself to post a picture of the patchwork Carly. I plan to own a Carly one day, as it's my favorite Coach design. It makes me want to cry that they'd do that to such a beautiful bag!

Caitlin's mommy said...

Count me in the horrible catagory. I can't stand the patchwork trend, especially coach and that hideous LV.
Now i've seen a channel patchwork that is just squares if akk the same color pieced together... very subtle... but still not for me.